Thursday, May 27, 2010
Diggin' Up Bones
Yesterday Kaylin found a bone outside and was so excited about it. I'm not sure what kind of creature it came from - although she is quite sure. I made her leave it outside so she asked for a wet paper towel to clean it off. All the while telling me how fragile bones are and how you have to treat them very carefully. Of course when she came in I made her wash her hands. I mean who knows what she was touching. Her excitement was still evident. She said "I can't believe I finally discovered a bone." Clearly she has been anticipating this discovery for years. I asked what kind of animal she thinks the bone came from. To which she assured me that it's a dinosaur bone. Now bear in mind the bone she found is all of about 2 1/2 inches long. "It's a triceratops bone." she said. "Oh, I said. I think maybe it's a little small to be a triceratops bone." She was not daunted. "Well, some triceratops are small." I let it go. There was no need to dampen her discovery. She went on to tell me that she might be a paleontologist when she grows up. This is all thanks to the show "Dinosaur Train". She has learned a lot from it (albeit from a clearly scientific viewpoint). I'm still impressed - I probably couldn't have said dinosaur when I was five - let alone triceratops or paleontologist.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We would like to help fund further digs. We had no idea there were triceratops that small. We're intrigued.
ReplyDeleteSincerely, The Thatcher Paleontological Society (Did I spell that right?) (Not "society". I know how to spell "society". I meant "Thatcher". That's a hard one.)