Thursday, March 12, 2009

God's Wife

The other day after picking up Kaylin from preschool, she started talking about Jesus and God. Well – actually the conversation started about Jesus dying on the cross and being buried in the tomb. She asked why He was buried in the tomb. I told her that’s where people sometimes put people when they die. She asked why people die. I explained that everyone dies. The cats die, the cows die, the dogs die, etc. The conversation was beginning to sound like a downer so I brought up the good part. “When we die we get to go to heaven and be with God and Jesus.” She proceeded to tell me that when she gets to heaven she’s going to give God a hug. How sweet is that? Then she asked if I wanted to help her give God a hug. “I would love that.” I said. Then she said “Make sure we tell Daddy that we’re going to heaven when we die. I replied. “He can go with us.” But then she really got me. She asked “Where’s God’s wife?” “He doesn’t have a wife,” I explained. She thought for a second. “Oh – maybe you should try to be God’s wife.” Huh? “Well, honey, I’m your daddy’s wife and besides God doesn’t really need a wife.” Apparently satisfied with that answer, and as children do, she moved on to the next topic (which probably had something to do with cows).

1 comment: